Saturday, November 16, 2019

Day 24/25: Tel Keshet to Mitzpe Massua (16th October, 2019)

During the sukkot holiday, I managed to get another 3 days of hiking. As I was relatively close to home, I did the 3 days as day trips, sleeping at home. Hiking with a small, light backpack was certainly much easier!

I took the bus to Ahuzam junction, then walked the approximately 2km to Tel Keshet. It was foggy in the morning, so I could barely see Tel Keshet in the distance


As I got closer, the fog cleared and I started back on the trail




The path followed a dry river (Nahal Adoraim)


and went under the railway line (the line to Beer Sheva) 

I passed another tel along the way



I was soon near Moshav Lakhish, where they grow an incredible amount of grapes (sold in Israel as Tali grapes). There were some friendly signs (you picked = you stole). The path followed the different grapes for about 2 hours!



In the moshav itself, I took a short detour to look around Tel Lakhish




There was an interesting display of chairs corresponding to the different kings at the time (Lakhish was an important city in the kingdom of Judea)


Throughout the day there were a lot of wells around, some of them surprisingly deep (like this one at Lakhish)


More grapes!


As I got close to Beit Guvrin, there were of cows, separated by a fence


In the distance, you can see see Tel Maresha, part of the Beit Guvrin national park (where we were a few weeks ago, flying a kite)


This is an abandoned house that was used by the Egyptians in the war of indepedence


During a relatively short period after the Oslo agreement, Palestinians with the right permit could drive from Gaze to West Bank along one of two routes. Some of the signs are still around


A map of the segment I just completed


And the next segment

I had originally planned to wak to here (Beit Guvrin), but as it was relatively early, I decided to continue on (after eating an icecream)

The route continued through an open area and eventually through a KKL park





As the evening drew near, I finished the days walking at Mitzpe Massua in Park Brittania.



No comments:

Post a Comment