Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Day 10: From Gev Holit night camp to Gavanim night camp: 24th February 2018

I set off again early to try to get a few hours of walking done in the morning.



The day started with an early climb to the Ein Geled spring. There was quite a lot of water there, assumedly largely after the rain.


The day included some great views, and it was good walking weather (not too hot).




A few of the trees were already showing signs of flowers





I walked passed the "Karbolet harerim" (English translation: cockscomb). I read that term (cockscomb) in the guide book and couldn't for the life of me work out what a cockscomb was . . . finally I remembered from one of the children's books I read to my kids that a "karbolet" is the thing roosters have on their heads. And yes, it does look like that!


Quite a few nice acacia trees around


After walking down from the "karbolet", I started to see lots of people around. I soon reached the "Nekarot horseshoe". I understood that there is relatively easy car access nearby (and it was a Saturday), hence the (relatively) large number of people around.



After the horseshoe, there was a final climb of the day on Mt. Saharonim. There was a good view from the top of Maktesh Ramon and all the way to Mitzpe Ramon. There was also a good view of the Gavanim night camp where I was to spend the night.


I arrived at the night camp with plenty of time. I found the water cache, and setup my tent. Again there was no phone reception, but I walked back part of the way up Mt. Sharonim where they was reception. I went back down to the night camp - it was still early (5pm), and nobody else was there. I disciplined myself to wait until 6pm to eat dinner (Majadra from a packet), then got into my sleeping bag (it was cold!). I managed to stay awake until 9pm reading my book. In the end I wasn't alone at the campsite, around 8pm a couple also came to camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment